Livestock Sector Facts
We share with you some interesting facts about the livestock sector.
• Colombia is 12th worldwide on bovine meat production and 4th in the region, after Brazil, Argentina and Mexico
• Antioquia, Casanare, Cordoba and Meta concentrate the 35% of the total bovine stock of 27.234.027 heads to October 2019
• The GDP of livestock represents approximately the 25% of the agribusiness GDP and 1.5% of the national GDP.
• 2.824.482 number of cows registered for sacrifice between January and October 2019
• The top 5 of the global beef producers are integrated by USA, Brazil, China, India* and Argentina, Colombia is 12th.
• Colombia has the fourth greatest bovine cattle in Latin America, after Brazil, Argentina and Mexico
• By departments, the bovine stock is concentrated in Antioquia with 3 million heads, followed by Casanare, Cordoba and Meta
• In the measurement the water buffalo is included. In some regions the livestock is sacred, which keeps India from a bigger participation on a global scale Dairy Sector
• Colombia has almost 395 thousand dairy producers and in 2018 the national production was of 7.358 million liters.
• Antioquia produces around 3,8 million liters of milk, Cundinamarca 3 million and Cordoba 1,4 million per day.
• 1,4% was the increase of the GDP of dairy products elaboration in the 3 trimesters of the year together.
• For September 2019, importations increased by 41%.
• The government’s goal is that during its term, the PAE increases its coverage from 5,3 million beneficiaries to 7 million.
• 6.000 million pesos are the available Budget of Agrosavia for the transference of dairy chain technology. • USA and India produce nearly the 30% of the milk around the world.
• By departments, the milk production is concentrated Antioquia and Cundinamarca with 35% of the national production. Poultry Sector
• Colombia is the fourth biggest producer of chicken in Latin America after Brazil, Mexico and Argentina, with 20 thousand tons during the first semester of 2019.
• The central region (Cundinamarca, Tolima, Huila and Boyacá) represent nearly the 25% of the total poultry meat produced in the country.
• On June 2019, the egg production in Colombia increased to 421.861 tons.
• The national per capita consumption by November 2019 was placed in 35,6 kilos of poultry meat and 293 eggs.
• 230 pesos were the increase of the national Price for whole chicken kilogram. 30 pesos in average, was the increase of the egg Price.
• USA, Brazil and China lead the global poultry meat production. USA produces 11,4 times more poultry meat than Colombia.
• According to Fenavi, by 2018 in Colombia there were 30.750 sheds and 110 benefit plants registered.
• By departaments, the poultry sector is concentrated in Santander, Cundinamarca, Valle and Antioquia. Valle, the greatest egg producer.
Source: Informes Sectorial, Sector Ganadería, tomado de EMIS Noviembre 2019 Informes Sectorial, Sector Lácteo, tomado de EMIS Diciembre 2019 Informes Sectorial, Sector Avícola, tomado de EMIS Diciembre 2019
Visit other ecosystems
Lifestyle and consumption
Agribusiness and food
Industry, building and manufacturing
Creative and cultural industries
Fashion and clothing manufacture
- A partnership: